Whats Really Bugging You


In 2007 the National Institute of Health launched the Human Microbiome Project to catalog all of the various forms of micro-organisms growing in and on our bodies. Over 800 strains of bacteria have been identified as normal inhabitants. Together, they weigh a little over 2 pounds. These little critters are responsible for 80% of our immune system. They manufacture vitamins, hormones, brain chemicals, and other life sustaining essentials. The cells in our bodies are outnumbered 10 to 1 by this smorgasbord of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and other bugs. Like it or not, we share our bodies with billions of friendly, necessary “bugs.” Modern science now considers this microbiome an additional human organ! Unwittingly, however, we sometimes treat them as pests, destroying them with antibiotics! Our friendly bugs become antibiotic casualties, collateral damage, if you will, suffered during antibiotic bombardment.

Antibiotics can save your life. But there is a price to pay when we kill off Friendlies that actually keep us alive and healthy. Replenishing the ranks of the fallen Friendlies becomes of paramount importance when taking antibiotics. This is accomplished by taking probiotics (friendly bacteria). One of the best formulated probiotics is a product called Theralac. During antibiotic therapy, two capsules taken twice a day during treatment and then one capsule three times a week thereafter is the usual dose.

Looking at this bug issue from a dentist’s point of view, I question the use of mouthwash to kill oral bacteria. It indiscriminately kills ALL bacteria in the mouth, the bad guys as well as the good guys. Our obsession with killing all bacteria should be considered politically incorrect. Bacteria are absolutely necessary to allow the immune system to function at peak effectiveness. When the mix of bacteria in the G.I. tract is upset by antibiotics or other chemicals it can cause the immune system to malfunction. We’re now seeing links between out of balance gut bacteria and autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, type I diabetes, asthma, lupus, MS, Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis.

Scattered reports have surfaced indicating that various infectious organisms could even cause psychiatric disease and strange behaviors in both animals and humans. For example, rodents are normally terrified of cats but when the rats were infected with the bug, Toxoplasma G., they not only lost their fear of cats, they seem strangely attracted to them. This of course, leads to being eaten…which is actually good for the bug whose natural host IS the cat.

Oral bacteria impact our entire body. Periodontal (gum) disease is a more serious and potentially dangerous problem than previously realized. More than 70% of adults 65 and older have periodontitis, ranging from inflammation and bleeding gums, to bone loss causing teeth to become loose. Coronary artery disease and atherosclerosis have been linked to periodontal inflammation and the presence of pathogenic bacteria found in our gums. Periodontal pathology also contributes to cancers of the oral cavity, Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia…are you strangely attracted to cats? Lung disorders including pneumonia and COPD, fatty liver disease, viral hepatitis, and kidney disease are also connected to gum disease.

Re-balancing the ORAL microbial population through the use of a novel probiotic bacterial strain, S.Salivarius, has produced dramatic improvements in oral health. This probiotic lozenge reduced plaque by 44%, gingival bleeding by 53%, and reduced gum pockets by 20%. Ideal treatment consists of a thorough cleaning and scraping of your teeth to remove plaque and tartar. This will reduce, even eliminate the colonies of nasty bacteria. And then immediately initiate daily use of S. Salivarius for 30 days or until conditions improve. Based on the clinical study results, some people may only need to use this lozenge every other month.

Modern drugs have been remarkably useful saving lives, but,more often than not, the collateral damage they inflict, i.e. the side effects, are just as deadly as what’s being treated. Ultimately, we are all individually responsible for our own health and safety. Doctors, like the police, usually show up only AFTER the crime has been committed. How we live BETWEEN doctor visits is at least as important as the doctors we see or the pills we pop. Consider the ancient inscription: “Man lives on 10 per cent of what he eats, on the other 90 per cent his doctor lives”

Stay Well…Dr. Bill Ardito – Sunshine Dentistry AZ – Nogales, Arizona 520-761-1600

Search Articles:

Sunshine Dentistry AZ

855 W Bell Rd.

(520) 761-1600
The Sunshine Dentistry AZ Team